WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Site updates, and directory editors

By James Cridland
Posted 12 July 2017, 12.54am edt
Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO




This thread contains code updates for this website and recent releases. media.info normally sees a code release every few days, with some periods of intense coding.

This thread is also here for our directory editors, an excellent bunch of volunteers who keep the data updated.

Comments

PRO2 months, 2 weeks ago

We've switched from Cloudflare to Amazon Cloudfront today for our CDN (which includes the main media.info).

We've also made some small changes for logged-in users with respect to caching, which has enhanced security and should also enhance user experience when logging in for the first time.

PRO2 months, 1 week ago

Edits of the broadcastURI for some countries are now locked to superusers only, to ensure client data is uncompromised. I'm the only superuser, in case you were wondering.

PRO1 month ago

An amount of stylesheet changes and tweaks. Font sizes are now more consistent, underlines have been removed from links (and all links placed in bold) for a clearer look and because it is no longer 2003, and some letter-spacing has been tweaked. Additionally, line-spacing has been corrected in some views, notably the people pages. This is a work in progress. There may be some inconsistencies between pages for users who are not logged-in: we're not rebuilding caches for this work, but all caches will empty in 7 days. (Logged-in users bypass our cache for all HTML pages).

We're now augmenting our jobs with some posts directly from media company websites. After a short period of automation - which wasn't a good plan - these positions are now manually included only if relevant to our audience. Also, jobs pages are now more correctly marked-up with schema.

Third party news now automatically forwards through after a branding page which also collects statistics for our daily email. No more ugly landing pages with "Read this story". You're welcome.

Earlier, as you may have experienced, we significantly improved page response times. In June, pages took around 850ms to load; we've been under 250ms for the whole of August, and sub-200ms since August 9th.

Editorially, the radio directory now includes all major radio stations in French-speaking Belgium, and many larger stations in France and Monaco. Improved navigation is now in place from media titles to country-specific indexes.

PRO3 weeks, 6 days ago

Search results are upgraded to avoid repeat results, particularly with place names.

The CSS styles no longer include comments nor white space, reducing the page weight (we include our CSS in every pageload of AMP pages). That should result in faster pageload.

Photographs in articles have always been accompanied with a credit; they now have a credit in the image itself (more visible on hover). Facebook is also being supplied with ALT text for images in article pages.

Today's Australian metropolitan radio survey figures are ingested.

PRO3 weeks, 4 days ago

UK: Bauer City 3's - I'll go and merge these back into The Hits.

Aus: I'm going to work on the listening figures shortly to allow stations to be in more than one area (particularly useful for Brisbane/Gold Coast). That will enable us to merge Talking Lifestyle together as one, which is the policy here (split news/ads, but otherwise no bespoke content).

PRO3 weeks, 4 days ago

This is a place where directory editors can have a chat. Very aware that there are quite a few folks doing some great work as directory editors, and it would be useful to have a place where we can chat.

PRO3 weeks ago

Noticed that new Facebook pages aren't adding themselves to pages successfully, despite the API stating otherwise.

PRO3 weeks ago

Yes, I've spotted that, Jake. Let me see what I can do, though I'm going to be super busy over the next few weeks. (Gives me something to clear my head though)

PRO2 weeks, 4 days ago

Quick update on Facebook. The SDK I use to get data from Facebook was deprecated in, um, 2015. Looks like bits have now stopped working - it returns the page ID, but nothing more; so the script doesn't know what to do and silently fails.

So, I need to get the new Facebook SDK installed, but annoyingly that's a number of breaking changes to how the SDK works. It needs a little more time than a snatched ten minutes in a Sydney coffee shop. I hope to get that sorted shortly.

What's a little strange is that the old code partially works on the Facebook update script, which I don't quite understand - but in any case, it's clearly time to update.

PRO1 week, 6 days ago

Our privacy policy changed slightly today - we're now using AMP ID, which allows us to know that the same person saw the first page (which may have been served by Google) and the second page (which we'll serve). No big deal, but we need to tell visitors, so we've done that there.

PRO1 day, 8 hours ago

Facebook should now work again - both from the URL-added new titles, and from the edit pages. I've also updated API calls from the cron job that keeps this stuff updated.

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.


- follow us on @minfodiscuss

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO