WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Site updates: Feb and Mar 2017

personBy James Cridland
access_timePosted 13 February 2017, 8.05pm est

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

Various code releases through the month, though I've been remiss in listing them.
Specifically, work on improving Google Snippets produced from the main directory pages.

Adult titles no longer embed content from their Twitter or Facebook pages.

Comments

PRO1 month, 1 week ago

The map is back at the top of job pages, after Google added a placeholder option in AMP iframes. Which is nice of them.

PRO1 month, 1 week ago

SoundCloud links in people pages - here's Jake Stevens - weren't validating in AMP. They are now. (All people pages migrated to AMP last year).

PRO1 month, 1 week ago

Slow queries set on the new database server, which required a reboot and a very short period of downtime.

A query on the directory index pages was running slow and has been optimised.

PRO1 month ago

• Changes to ad code (mainly in AMP pages). Removal of the right-hand skyscraper ad altogether; mobile devices will get a larger ad at the top of the page; ad at the bottom is now responsive.
  • Adult titles no longer include embedded Facebook and Twitter feeds, and no longer link to them.

PRO1 month ago

• Radio listening figures for Australian stations (specifically, those in cap cities) are now live.

PRO4 weeks, 1 day ago

• Directory pages are now AMP-enabled. This means the removal, for now, of the embedded Twitter/Facebook timelines.
  • Some slight changes to advertising on the directory pages, to make the ads appear higher up in most listings; and some changes to the page template to look nicer.

PRO4 weeks ago

• When resizing PNG logos with transparent backgrounds, the transparent background is now replaced with white. This will happen with all new logos entered from hereon; previous ones are cached and won't be regenerated for now.

PRO4 weeks ago

• A small bug has been fixed that removed ads from certain pages.
  • Unpaid roles are now clearly signalled in job pages and the job index after user feedback.
  • The AMP mustache plugin is no longer loaded on article pages for users who aren't logged in.
  • Playlist pages are now AMP-enabled.

PRO2 weeks, 6 days ago

• Probably the most jarring change if you're a long-term visitor: Source Sans Pro is no more; and instead, this site has reverted to Helvetica (Mac), Arial (PC), or Arimo (Chromebook) - or whatever your phone gives you by default. This is to help speed, to match the emails we send, and also because Source Sans Pro always felt a little austere and unfriendly. The precursor of this site, Media UK, used Arial. This site has used a few different webfonts, and at launch used the original Roboto paired with Roboto Slab. Font sizes and margins will be tweaked as we go (mostly using a MacBook as well as a Chromebook).
  • Directory index pages are now AMP-enabled.

PRO2 weeks, 6 days ago

Publish dates on the website now show the local time for your country. The US defaults to New York time, while Australia defaults to Sydney time.

PRO2 weeks, 6 days ago

Some updates to the "listen live" pages. They now support broadcastURIs for FM, AM and DAB - though I'd ask directory editors to please not enter these for now. Australian listen-now pages are now supported, though there is only underlying data for that one radio station quite yet. UK listen-now pages now support AM, though once more, I'd recommend not entering these quite yet.

PRO2 weeks, 6 days ago

Listen-live pages, incidentally, aren't AMP-enabled and won't be for some time yet. Pop-up players don't function correctly from AMP pages, in case you've wondered.

PRO2 weeks, 4 days ago

Moved server to a PHP7 build. This may break lots of things: I guess we'll only find out when we try!

PRO2 weeks, 2 days ago

An invisible change to the breadcrumbs, which are visible in Google. Before it was simply reformatting the title slug, but now it should ensure that "BBC Radio 1Xtra" displays correctly, rather than "Bbc Radio 1xtra" which is, um, wrong.

PRO2 weeks, 2 days ago

• Removed the "We use cookies" note in our header, which we can't serve on AMP pages anyway and is not required under Australian law.
  • Updated our cookies page to reflect that
  • Changed marketing for DAB listings in Australia to correctly call it "DAB+ Digital Radio".

PRO2 weeks, 2 days ago

Some fixes for mobile layout, including a nicer-looking footer. The menu now opens our sitemap page to allow you to navigate throughout the website.

PRO2 weeks, 2 days ago

Removed amp-mustache from non-commentable article pages (like /cookies)

PRO2 weeks, 2 days ago

AMP pages now use the proper AMP-sharer modules. (i.e. buttons to share a page to Facebook, Twitter, etc). I've added one for email as well. This has the side-effect of making it more obvious which are AMP pages, which is "interesting" (no, it isn't really), but will also speed page load times.

PRO1 week, 4 days ago

The iTunes bot now correctly checks the right storefront. MSNBC's app, for example, is only available in the US store.

PRO1 week, 4 days ago

Also fixed recently - better links to Radioplayer (for UK radio); TuneIn links now only appear if there's no other way of listening; and better links to related news stories in directory pages - Heart 80s is an example.

PRO1 week, 4 days ago

Removal of support for Google+ pages (they never gave us an API for them, stupid Google); and directory editors can now edit rss_keywords, a mechanism to more correctly link news stories to specific media titles. This rss_keywords is now part of the news ingest (and something under test).

PRO1 week, 3 days ago

The front page is now AMP-enabled (and as a result, at last, the hero images display properly on mobile!)

PRO1 week, 2 days ago

After some speed tests, I've removed the CDN from media.info. Your connection is now direct, without a cache/proxy in the way. This has also meant a few changes in how images have been referenced, and they're now on a separate CDN once more. I've not run a server directly for about four years, so I'm hoping this is the right thing to have done! Who knows...

Thank you to the fine LetsEncrypt service, who now provide us with an SSL key.

PRO1 week ago

...and this is now reverted, while I work out why this was bringing this website to its knees. Heh.

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss