WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

200th Anniversary of the Bicycle 2017

By Jason Seo Smith
Posted 30 May 2017, 10.31pm edt
Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

On Friday 2nd June I'm cycling from the UK to Mannheim in Germany to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the bicycle, invented and launched in 1817 by Karl Von Drais. I hope to complete the 1,000 mile ride to Andermatt in Switzerland following the Rhine Route and finishing on the iconic day the bicycle was launched 12th June 1817. The bicycle was invented because of a huge volcano in Indonesia and the asphalt debris filled the air causing Europe to have no Summers for 2 years in 1815 and 1816, the animals died and were eaten due to lack of food and the velocipede was created, also known as the laufmaschine, German for running machine. I'm not running the route but I will be bikepacking carrying all my own kit, tent and having a real adventure, I wondered if any radio stations were going to run any stories on such an iconic landmark date to celebrate? Considering how many of us own bicycles and ride across the globe. Hopefully the story will make the news somewhere, I'd love to know what Karl Von Drais thinks of todays bikes. I never had a bicycle 3 years ago before being asked to cycle the full length of Britain by my late cousin Sam, since then I can't get off the thing. Thanks for your time and I hope some UK radio stations can publish a story for the anniversary. Best Wishes and safe riding everyone. Track my progress or failure on twitter @challengerwsm 9 days to cover 1,000 miles = plenty of pain!!

Be the first to comment

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss