WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Alternatives to Live365 for legal streaming

personBy Graham Barron
access_timePosted 1 October 2016, 7.01pm edt

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

Can anyone recommend - and do they actually exist? - alternatives to the now defunct Live365? I'm looking for a streaming service which, for a fee, will cover music licensing and be completely legal and copyright friendly. I'm based in the UK. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

PRO5 months, 3 weeks ago

Radionomy say:

We have got you covered. We cover all the music licensing necessary to stream online. You just program the music and content you love.

5 months, 3 weeks ago

That's great James, thank you very much. I had initially looked at taking the podcast route but my certainties that it is a legal/admin/financial nightmare when it comes to using commercial music were strongly confirmed! I have been researching streaming but got rather bogged down in trying to work out which organisation would cover all my needs so it's great to be pointed in a definite direction. Thanks again, Graham.

5 months, 2 weeks ago

Radionomy provide an excellent service but I found the setting up of a Radio Station under radionomy very time-consuming and cumbersome. All tracks have to be uploaded in mp3 format, which means converting all your cd-files to mp3. You can only upload about 5 tracks at a time and you have to wait until they are cleared. There is a limit of 25 tracks that can be awaiting clearance. then there are the calenders and plans and timetables etc.

I though of using the streaming function instead using Zara Radio and Edcast. You still have to submit a plan though. It would be easier if you could just have an exclusive URL to stream to. I wanted very much to have my own Station on Radionomy as I think their pacckage is about the best. It is just so time consuming, that I had to give it up. I sincerely hope you have better luck and wish you well with your Station. (I haven´t given up hope, I just need the time!)

5 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks very much for that Finn. I guess there's more to using something like Radionomy than I initially thought. I've been so bogged down with looking at podcasting (as noted above, a definite no-no!) that I haven't fully delved into the ins, outs and implications of using streaming services. Back to the drawing board for me, but all the very best for your station Finn!

5 months, 2 weeks ago

Thank you Graham! As a Radio Presenter, I don´t have the time at the moment but when I do I´ll come back to Radionomy. I can recommend trying to set up your "Station" with Radionomy as it will give a good insight into what is involved in organising a "normal" FM Station and you will learn so much from it even if you decide not to go ahead with it. If you do decide to use Radionomy, then at least you will end up with a professional result. I wish you luck!

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss