WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Help with Inovonics 250

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

I do some voluntary work for a hospital radio station (HWD Hospital Radio in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire). We use an Inovonics 250 as our on air processor which was kindly donated to us a few years ago.

Lately there has been a slight difference between the left and right output gain of the processor. Inovonics recommended swapping the limiter cards around to see if the problem follows, and it does. The gain difference is hard to hear but you can see it on the desk meters and other monitoring equipment.

I can get the output gain equal by slightly tweaking the output level screw, but this only lasts a few days before it starts to drop again so I guess something on the card is gradually failing.

Does anyone have any experience with these units who can advise what the problem could be and how we can go about fixing it?

More information

HWD Hospital Radio
Dewsbury and District Hospital

Comments

1 year, 11 months ago

Hey.

Nice processor you got there. However, their anologue nature means they do require a bit of looking after.

If I were you, I'd contact Audessence. They can service it, probably update the cards if you so wish, and get it back to you sounding as good as new.

Personally, I think these units are really worth looking after - so persuade the "powers that be" that it's investment, not expenditure. It'll never be worth less than £600 if you look after it.

1 year, 11 months ago

Very good processor. There's quite a few still on air, and they have a lovely warm timbre which I think you just don't get with digital gear. I'd love to get one for my home studio.

1 year, 10 months ago

My friend has one on Ebay at the moment - and it's in first class condition.

1 year, 10 months ago

Seem to go for around £200-£400 Link

They're OK, but I'd prefer an Optimod 8100 and XT2 chassis anyday!

PRO1 year, 10 months ago

When I was chief engineer for HWD Hospital Radio, I put an ALC circuit from a tape recorder into the output - the first time we'd done anything other than simply put desk output onto the distribution amplifier.

It made for a surprisingly nice and forgiving sound, however hideous the concept might have been!

1 year, 10 months ago

I know of a station in the 80's who did that on their AM transmitter before they had enough money for an Optimod. Changed some components to make it faster acting. Freeware can do far better nowadays of course.

1 year, 10 months ago

Of course Breakaway Live will leave you change from a ton. With an ASIO sound card it's more than monitorable.

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO