WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Muting Speakers when opening Mic on Behringer DX2000USB

By James Martin
Posted 5 January 2016, 5.52pm est
Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

Hi,

Does anyone know how to do the above?

Actually; in reality, it's not the Mic channel I want to activate this but its line equivalent as it's going through a DBX phantom power & processor first, which outputs at line-level.

Does it also work when you PFL the channel? I've seen a DX1000 which was in what's now Jack Oxford's studio in its Passion 107.9 days that did this, so I know it's possible to do...

Comments

1 year, 9 months ago

Hi James,
I have a DX2000USB at home, when I looked at it closely, I found that you can't mute speakers etc when you fade up either of the mic channels.

I found that there was someone who would you could buy a new DX2000USB through, he would then modify it for you.

Unfortunately, he won't accept DX2000USB's which aren't bought through him - no idea why, because as soon as he takes the thing apart, the warranty is void anyway.

From the information that he has on his website, it looks like he swaps out the faders on channels 1&2 for ones that had fader-start outputs.

Effectively, it's a switch at the bottom of the fader which opens and closes as it's moved from the off position; this is then fed to a socket on the back of the mixer.

I've not had the bottle to open mine up to take a look yet, but I would definitely be interested in doing this mod myself.

I think the parts would come to under £25, it would just depend on how nifty you are with a soldering iron etc.

Hope that helps !
Thanks
Adam

1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah I'm aware of Charlie Davy, I'm looking at his Bravo playout system.

I'd have no idea where to start though...

1 year, 9 months ago

Also, his mod would allow me to mute the mic channel but not it's associated Mono Line In. My DBX compressor/phantom unit only outputs a line level signal...

1 year, 9 months ago

Are you not using the FX sends on for the mic channels ?
That way you wouldn't need an extra line-in channel.

1 year, 9 months ago

I could do that - the question is will it return a line-level signal or try to amplify what it gets back? (Also, will it mix the "wet" signal with the "dry" one - or will I just get "wet"?)

1 year, 9 months ago

The return will be wet only, and will be at line level. You will be able to hear the result through headphones, and also through the main outputs.

1 year, 9 months ago

Next question for you Adam - how can I monitor a processed feed on this, which I believe you can do, albeit crudely. I've a copy of Breakaway Live for this purpose. I want to be able to monitor "off-TX" so to speak in the speakers and cans.

1 year, 9 months ago

James,
If you use the TRS / FX jacks on the mic channels, you automatically hear the processed feed from those channels. You don't need to do anything specific to achieve this.

However, if you are using the Main Inserts TRS jacks, you will be able to hear the processed audio through headphones - but you'll need to use the Main Output Balanced (XLR) connections to output to TX/REC.

1 year, 9 months ago

Yep, that's the idea - monitor a processed feed for myself but be able to send a clean feed to another PC.

PRO11 months, 4 weeks ago

From experience, caution - many processing equipment adds a slight delay that, while undetectable normally, makes for very strange effects in headphones.

I have a USB microphone, which comes with its own delay, of course. Thankfully, I'm only ever recording audio and not doing live mixing.

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO