WorldwideUKIrelandAustraliamore
media.info

Need an 88-108MHz yagi antenna!

By Dan Gruner
Posted 29 December 2014, 6.59am est
Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO

Happy Xmas all!

I am trying to purchase an 88-108MHz broadcast FM yagi antenna for my hi-fi stereo tuner at home. Once upon an time you saw these antennas on lots of household roofs! I need something 3-5 element. Apart from the main broadcast suppliers that provide the high power transmission antennas for transmitter sites; I cannot seem to find a resource in the uk to purchase a sensibly priced yagi antenna for reception. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Dan

Comments

2 years, 10 months ago

Most aerial installers, especially those certified by the CAI, should be able to source (and install) such antennas. Maplin used to (and probably still do) sell 3 element Band II yagi's - but whatever yo do, do not go into a Maplin store and actually ask any of the clueless wonders who know nothing about the subject (and many of them have little knowledge of electronics either).

My own online searches for you alos found some difficulty finding them, even under terms like Band 2, Band II and so on. However, this company looks promising:-

http://www.blake-uk.com/aerials-antennas/vhf-band-ii-fm/

2 years, 10 months ago

Just looking around and Antiference make a 5 element outdoor yagi for FM reception in residential areas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANTIFERENCE-Aerial-1085-Element-Boxed/dp/B00BDIVCGE

2 years, 10 months ago

Many many thanks for everyone's help. I have now purchased a suitable antenna from the above recommendations and look forward to installing it ASAP!

Happy New Year!

Dan

2 years, 10 months ago

Hi Dan
I worked for 8 years with J-Beam Aerials - later Jaybeam and now Amphenol Antenna Solutions from whom we still buy our professional antenna systems.
We built 4- and 6-element yagi antennas that covered 88-98 MHz for the BBC from its own design for use in RBR installations.
I later developed the antenna to have an almost flat response over 88-108 MHz and I still have the dimensions and a practical example available.
I would add that this is a design optimised very carefully for gain, bandwidth and matching on the finest equipment available.
PM me or e-mail via transplan UK if you'd like details.
Ian

2 years, 10 months ago

Please be careful of gain figures and numbers of elements.
Gain expressed as "dBi" refers to a theoretical isotropic radiator and the figure is 2,16 higher than the practical "dBd" figure related to a dipole.
The gain of a Yagi-Uda antenna is proportional to its length - not to the number of elements.
Multiple elements such as four in a grid reflector for instance only count as one for the purposes of definition of the antenna.
Correct matchng to the feeder system used and the use of an effective balun is also essential to obtaining best performance.

2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Ian; have sent you an email :)

Dan

2 years, 10 months ago

Thumbs up for Blake aerials. They are really well built - much more solid than typical domestic aerials. On my old house in Cheshire I used to have one of their 7 elements on a rotator. Used to pull in all sorts of stations on FM from Chiltern Radio in south, Lincs FM to East, RTE2 to west and Metro radio in the north.

2 years, 10 months ago

Hi Glyn,

Many thanks for your reply. I have in fact ordered an 8 element and a 3 element Yagi from Blake which should be arriving this week. I hope they will be as good as you recommend! ;)

Dan

2 years, 10 months ago

Even better if you run the co-ax to an amplifier in the loft, and then down to your receiver. I tried two amps in series, but that over-loaded the receiver!

2 years, 10 months ago

I've tried to find an image for the Blake 8-element but no luck.
Looking at the published gain figures and dimensions, I suspect that some of those 8 elements constitute multiples - such as a reflector grid.
I don't know of anyone offering a true 8-element B II yagi - that is a dipole, reflector and six directors.
Adding up every individual resonant component to achieve an imposing large number goes against the established principles of antenna terminology.
Blake does at least use nominal (but clearly rounded) dBd gain figures.

2 years, 10 months ago

Ian - on the link below page 12 it seems they do indeed count the omni and reflector as elements. Based upon that, then the FM8 with 9dBd gain has 6 director elements, a reflector and the dipole feed.
link

Login or register to comment
It only takes a second with your Google or Facebook account.

- follow us on @minfodiscuss

Remove the ads and support us: GO PRO