Freelance Broadcast Journalist
A freelance and contract journalism job at Radio Essex in Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Posted 2 February 2018, 10.24am est
Radio Essex is an expanding local radio station, operating a hit music format. Our core audience is the 25-34 age group, so our sound is fresh, vibrant and current. Our news output covers the stories that matter to the whole of Essex, a large, diverse and ever-changing county. We’re looking for talented freelance journalists to join our pool available for shifts as and when they arise.
You’ll be a qualified Broadcast Journalist with a great broadcast voice, a passion for developing local news and a brilliant on-air tone. You’ll have the ability to approach stories from different angles to make sure the listener sits up to take notice. Love digging out a story from scratch, using your own ideas and intuition? Perfect.
As a news hub covering three stations across several counties, our desk provides a lot of bulletins – so you’ll be cool and calm under pressure, unflustered and efficient in delivering output.
Shifts available are varied – from early breakfast to weekend mornings, so you’ll need flexibility in getting to our studios in Southend.
What you’ll need….
- A journalism qualification and experience in a radio role
- Confidence in conducting and editing great interviews – as well as writing attention-grabbing copy
- A strong understanding of media law
- A grasp of all areas of news, including business, sport and entertainment
- The ability to work both as part of a team and when left to your own devices
- Burli experience are a bonus, but not a requirement – training will be offered