A full-time journalism job at Global in Chelmsford
Posted 3 September 2018, 6.08am edt
Global is one of the world’s leading media & entertainment groups and Europe’s largest radio company. At Global, we work hard, we’re obsessed about the detail in everything we do and most of all we’re proud to be known for employing some of the best talent in the industry.
As the country’s leading commercial radio business, Global is home to some of the biggest and most loved media brands in the UK; Heart, Capital, Classic FM, Smooth LBC, Radio X, Capital Xtra and Gold. Every week, Global brands reach more than 31 million people, including more than 25 million on the radio alone.
Global has more than 1,600 people working at 25 broadcast centres around the UK and offices in New York, Paris & Hamburg. We’re a dynamic company who look for like-minded and passionate people to join the business.
Working to the Regional News Editor, and Deputy, you’ll play an important role in the news operation at your own Broadcast Centre, ensuring our local bulletins reflect Global and Ofcom’s guidelines for each particular brand. As a main bulletin reader, you’ll be creating high quality, relevant, timely and accurate local news content.
You’ll help set the agenda on a daily basis for your part of the region, feed stories into the regional news centre and potentially our national news talk brand, LBC. You’ll also play a key role in any major news events in your region.
- You’ll be highly skilled in the use of the full range of social and multi-media tools available to deliver a successful multi-platform news experience for audiences. You’ll obviously be experienced with all legal and broadcast regulations.
What will you be doing?
- You’ll be researching and presenting news bulletins as directed by the Regional News Editor.
- You’ll be passionate about writing original, exciting news and current affairs content across multiple platforms. Using your experience in multi-media and social media, you'll help deliver exclusive content and stories across different platforms with the aim of delivering potentially award winning coverage. News happens 24/7 and this isn’t a ‘normal’ office job.
- Along with Regional News Editor, and Deputy, you’ll assist the local coverage on big stories, as well as possibly reading bulletins and reporting from the field. You should be capable of standing in at other Broadcast Centres.
What we expect of you :
- Global Radio's Senior Broadcast Journalists should be obsessed about the news and our brands, experienced journalistically, capable of taking responsibility for editorial decision making and helping ensure the Broadcast Centre operates to the best of its abilities.
- You'll have a great reading style and excellent voice as well as supporting others in developing theirs.
- You'll be just as at ease presenting either pre-recorded or live bulletins. You should be at the forefront of delivering exclusive local stories on air and online having been experienced at reporting, desk editing and bulletin production for several years.
- You’ll have good relationships within Global and understand the key relationships and requirements of any brand-licensed stations. Networking skills are required, alongside a great knowledge of news issues in your area.
- You should be contributing and developing an effective contacts database for your area.
- You’ll have a great knowledge of media law and understanding of the Ofcom Broadcast Code.
- A full, clean UK Driving License is essential
Who you will work with:
Regional News Editor Deputy Regional News Editor Managing Editors & Managing Directors Other Broadcast Journalists Group Head of News - Group News Coordinator Deputy Group Head of News