Saturday Broadcast Journalist
A freelance and contract journalism job at Radio Essex in Southend-on-Sea, UK
Posted 6 December 2018, 5.20am est
Radio Essex is an expanding local radio station, operating a hit music format. Our core audience is the 25-34 age group, so our sound is fresh, vibrant and current. Our news output covers the stories that matter to the whole of Essex, a large, diverse and ever-changing county. We’re looking for a talented, hungry and enthusiastic journalist to join our team, initially covering Saturday shifts on a freelance basis.
You’ll be a qualified Broadcast Journalist with a great voice, a passion for developing local news and a brilliant on-air tone. You’ll have the ability to approach stories from different angles to make sure the listener sits up to take notice. Love digging out a story from scratch, using your own ideas and intuition? Perfect. You’ll be cool and calm under pressure, unflustered and efficient in delivering output. Social media and digital experience is a plus, as you’ll update our website and Tweet the latest news.
Working on Saturdays, you’ll set the news agenda for the day for Essex, as well as our sister stations in The Midlands. As it’s out of standard office hours, you’ll also represent the radio station with visitors to the building.
As well as covering Saturdays, you’ll also join our pool of freelancers for other shifts covering holiday and other reporting opportunities that come up.
This role could suit a recent graduate with some radio experience, looking to build their portfolio and wanting on-air training to help continue on their career path.
What you’ll need….
- A journalism qualification and some experience in a radio role
- Experience reading on-air bulletins and great broadcast tone
- Confidence in conducting and editing great interviews – as well as writing attention-grabbing copy
- A strong understanding of media law
- A grasp of all areas of news, including business, sport and entertainment
- The ability to work both as part of a team and when left to your own devices
- Burli experience is a bonus, but not a requirement – training will be offered
To apply, please send your C.V. and a demo bulletin of no more than 3 minutes to email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A DEMO ATTACHED WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
This job closes: 3 January, 2019
Please say you saw this position on media.info when applying.